Shipwrecked on Skull Island
They automatically know the language of their homeland (to determine that language roll a d6: 1-2 Bezonian, 3 Chagatai, 4 Senzar, 5 Kazakh, 6 Duala). They can spend one pick to become fluent other languages or gain literacy in a language. Every two levels, a character can learn a new language or gain literacy. It is possible for a character to become literate in a language that they cannot speak. This is commonly the case with the dead magical language of Hyborean.
- Abyssal…language of demons. Spoken by goblins, murder cultists and demons.
- Aklo………ritual language used to command aberrations and their ilk. Legend has it that the snakemen of antiquity spoke it fluently.
- Bezonian…language of Bezoni nomads of the Empire. Trade language.
- Chagatai…poetic language of the horse lords of the Chagat oligarchy.
- Duala……..musical language of the Mungo seafarers. Trade language used primarily by sailors and pirates.
- Gygaxian…language spoken by the native inhabitants of Skull Island. Not available to starting PCs.
- Hyborean…dead magical language of the old lost Empire of Hyborea. Used by priests and magic users.
- Imperial…..diplomatic language of the Imperial court.
- Infernal……legalistic language of hell, primarily used by judges and advocates.
- Kazakh…….language of the Kazak ice farmers of the North in their ice cities.
- Nekril………language of the dead. Learned automatically at death. Spoken by undead and those that have returned from the dead.
- R’lyehian….language of sea creatures.
- Ossetic……language of the Osseti nation in the desert of ash. The written form is known only to their priests, and to the occasionally heretic.
- Pnakotic….future language of human kind in the time of future past that shall come again. Used primarily by the mindflayers and the mad cults that serve them.
- Senzar…….language of the holy city of Kuturis in the South. Spoken by believers, priests, nobles, and witch hunters.
- Zaum……..the high holy language of the old gods of the world. Spoken by birds, cats, divine emissaries, and the occasional holy man or priest. Costs 4 picks to learn, has no written form.
The Old Gods of the World
- Bast: Goddess of Cats.
- Crom/Ulthar: The impartial watcher of the Outer Gods.
- Orryx: Goddess of the Purging Fire.
- Nuada: God of language and messengers.
- Shavalyoth: Goddess of the sea.
- Yad-Thaddag: The God of the dead. Yad-Thaddag wanders the world devouring corpses, it has a particular fondness for undead creatures especially ghouls and liches.
Major Outer Gods
- Illsensine, note: Illsensine technically doesn’t exist yet but will someday. Magic that contacts Illsensine relies on time bridges to link the present to the future when he does exist.
- Nyarlathotep/suspected to masquerade as many different gods including Bel and Mitras